9 Ways to Save Money on Your Roof
The roof on your building wasn’t cheap. And a new one will very likely be more expensive than the one that’s on it. It makes sense to follow these 9 best practices in roof maintenance, so you can save your business expense — and save yourself the frustration.
- Get to know your roof warranty’s coverage terms, conditions and exclusions.
- Perform self-inspections of the roof monthly or quarterly, and always after major weather events.
- Repair small cracks or unsealed exposures before heavy precipitation penetrates them.
- Research reputable roofing contractors who you will be able to call in a pinch with an emergency service need and know they’ll respond quickly and efficiently before the damage worsens.
- Trace the sources of wet insulation; and have those leaks repaired before they lead to mold, insect infestation or compromised energy efficiency.
- Schedule semi-annual roof inspections with a reputable roofing contractor, ideally in the spring and fall.
- Seek information on roof restorations to determine if there’s a cost-efficient way to extend the life of your roof before opting to replace it.
- Limit roof foot traffic and establish clear traffic patterns for employees and contractors to minimize the risk of damage.
- Consider lowering energy costs, and bringing your roof to watertight condition, by simply coating it in a color most suitable for your climate.