Commercial Roof Inspection Done Right
The industry standard for commercial roof inspections is a visual inspection and maybe an infrared scan. This method offers little analysis and relies heavily on the opinion and expertise of the technician performing the roof assessment. Too often, the results of this commercial roof inspection recommend a full roof replacement and that’s not always the case.
Any replacement or restoration from Simon Roofing begins with a thorough SR PreVision assessment of the roof. This proprietary approach combines the standard practice of visual inspection and infrared scanning with laboratory testing and database analysis. Specially trained SR PreVision technicians collect data, capture photographs and collect an actual sample of the roof’s core and membrane from the roof. This is all sent back to the in-house laboratory for extensive testing and analysis. The outcome is a comprehensive condition report that equips facility managers with the knowledge needed to make well-informed decisions about the roof. The SR PreVision process takes the guesswork out of commercial roof inspections and uses scientific evidence to extend a roof’s service life and often delay replacement.
Let’s Walk Through an SR PreVision Roof Assessment
Step 1: Visual Roof Inspection
- Our specially trained SR PreVision technicians meticulously inspect the entire roof, identifying problem areas and defects.
- Defects are recorded into a tablet equipped with SR PreVision software, tailored to each roof type’s specific data collection criteria.
- Data includes descriptions and photos of the roof surface and structural components, both interior and exterior, ensuring data accuracy and preventing subjectivity.
Step 2: Thermal (Infrared) Scan
- To detect wet insulation effectively, we perform an infrared scan during the evening hours.
- Identifying wet insulation is critical. If left untreated, wet insulation can lead to energy loss, mold growth, pest infestation, structural damage, and more.
Step 3: Laboratory Analysis
- A core sample is retrieved from the roof and a waterproof repair is made on the spot. The sample(s) is then sent to our state-of-the-art lab.
- Comprehensive structural and chemical testing assesses elongation, tensile strength, and other vital indicators of roof life expectancy.
Step 4: Data Analysis
- The data collected is automatically transferred to our internal database, which continuously accumulates data from years of roof assessments.
- Combined with laboratory results, this data yields a condition report providing an objective and precise prediction of remaining useful life based on three testing methods: visual inspection/data collection, infrared scan, and core sample analysis.
SR PreVision combines science with the standard commercial roof inspection methods to provide customers with powerful planning and budgeting tools. By knowing when a roof will fail and what methods can be used to stop it are only possible with our unique approach to roof assessments.