April Showers Bring May Flowers. And Roof Leaks.
Water intrusion can quickly lead to damaged insulation, equipment and inventory inside a building. Roof leaks any time of the year can be frustrating, damaging, unsafe and costly to any facility. This is especially so in the springtime when rain showers are a common occurrence. Knowing what causes leaks can help you identify the problem and determine the best solution.
5 Tips to Prevent Roof Leaks
Some common issues that cause commercial roof leaks include membrane failures, drains and gutter issues, ponding water and flashings. Below are 5 tips to help prevent roof leaks from hanging over your head:
- Ensure your roof is properly draining and not holding or ponding water.
- Inspect your ceilings and walls from inside the building to look for evidence of roof leaks or other damage that may have occurred.
- Periodically check for coping or metal flashing that’s missing.
- Remove debris like leaves, sticks and garbage so they don’t cause a backup in the drains.
- Implement a routine maintenance plan to help double your roof’s lifespan.
Does your roof have any of these issues?
When not resolved in a timely manner, a simple roof leak can grow into a flood of problems and expenses. Inspect your roof on a regular basis. The time you save doing so may even allow you to stop and smell the spring flowers.