8 tips to prevent commercial roof leaks from hanging over your head
Roof leaks can be frustrating, damaging, unsafe and costly to any facility, especially when not resolved in a timely manner. Some common issues that cause commercial roof leaks include membrane failures, drains and gutter issues, ponding water, and flashings.
Below are 8 tips to help prevent roof leaks from hanging over your head:
- Ensure your roof is properly draining and not holding or ponding water.
- Inspect your ceilings and walls from inside the building to look for evidence of roof leaks or other damage that may have occurred.
- Periodically check for coping or metal flashing that’s missing.
- Remove debris like leaves, sticks and garbage so they don’t cause a backup in the drains.
- Avoid sending anyone on the roof to remove snow who’s not specifically trained to avoid causing damage to your roof.
- Eliminate labor costs of a follow-up service call by asking the roofing tech on site to make simple repairs in the same visit.
- Implement a routine maintenance plan to help double your roof’s lifespan.
- Having to request a call-back for a roof leak that was supposedly just fixed can be even more frustrating than the roof leak itself. Hire only roofers who self-perform the work to better control the quality of the technicians, as well as the workmanship.